Youth Development Competitive Program (Age 11-15)
For new or returning paddlers: year-round programs for kids aged 11 - 15.
No experience is necessary and all equipment is provided. Athletes will enjoy learning to paddle, games, fun regattas, as well as the option to race in more competitive regattas. Our well-trained coaches teach fundamental paddling skills and provide a comprehensive physical activity program that involves paddling, balance drills, and games and activities in a positive fun environment.
The program is based on Canoe Kayak Canada’s (CKC) model for Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) and provides:
- A fun and safe environment for all participating athletes
- Instruction in the fundamentals of sprint canoe and kayak for both beginners and experienced paddlers
- Opportunities for athletes to train and compete in a variety of team (crew) and individual boats (singles)
- Introduction to aerobic and speed training on and off the water
- Opportunities for all participants to compete in regattas in Western Prairie Division
The day-to-day activities include:
- Morning meet and greet
- Morning warm up with dry land activities such as jogging and dynamic stretching
- Group games such as volleyball, pickle, frisbee, soccer and relay races
- Multiple on-water sessions with time in team boats, singles and big boats (war canoe)
- Trying new discipline like water Polo, Stand up paddle board and Olympic-racing boats
- Designated lunch time supervised by coaches
The session runs Mondays to Fridays, 9:00-4:00 in July and August (excluding Civic Holidays). You do not need to attend every day to be registered in the program! We understand that families have other commitments as well :)
Paddlers will be grouped will be grouped by groups of age if necessary depending on their skills . Paddlers must demonstrate a minimum swimming ability before getting in a boat. Summer sessions of Sprint Paddling include the opportunity to race at a local and out-of-province regattas. Participants will learn competition skills and rules for sprint canoe/kayak and will participate in on and off-water training sessions.
All canoes, kayaks, paddles, and PFDs will be supplied for use during camp hours and each camper will get a free water bottle and sport pack with the club logo with an additional GERCKC Summer Camp AWESOME T-SHIRT!
Summer Season : June to October
Winter Season : November to April
2023 Competition Schedule
Our latest and best photos